Setting sail....

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday...

Today seems like an excellent day to start my "new kind" of posts! I'm going to start a "Thoughtful Thursday"...feel free to share your profound thoughts, crazy ideas or just random tidbits. (Although, I have plans for a Tidbit day, just wait).

As of 10:00 this morning, I had done two loads of laundry, a load of dishes, gone to the bank, gone grocery shopping, fed the little MAN and put him down for his nap. Somewhere along the way I stopped to think about it being National Prayer Day. Then I wondered how many people even knew that...or better yet, how many people actually care!

So often are things like this just overlooked...even by our President who has decided not to hold a ceremony today (no political discussion to follow, I promise). I thought that as we go on about our daily lives we often forget the power of prayer. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure most of you (me included) pray and pray often (although not as much as we should!). We say our blessings and bedtime prayers but how often do we just stop to pray for the person we just met that had a fowl mouth or what about the people that we pass on Sunday mornings on our way to church while they are walking the dog or headed shopping?

What are we teaching our children? Do we teach them it is good to pray when we sit down to eat or when we go to bed or do we teach them we should be in a constant relationship with God? Yes, relationship!! Think about your relationship...what if I only thought about my wonderful hubby one day a week and only spoke to him at meals and bedtime out of habit and not out of desire? What if I only spoke to him when I wanted something from him? We wouldn't dream of treating our family that way, so why on Earth would we treat our Savior that way?

We often treat him like a 911 operator...we call on him when we need help. Of course, you are to call on God in times of need...but what about thanksgiving and repentance?

You often hear we are creating a "ME" generation...that is pouring over into our prayer life, and our religious life in general. We go to church when it's convenient for ME, we pray when it is convenient for ME, we pray for what I want for ME, we don't pray for anything that would cause ME to have to change. I'm not extremely well versed in the Bible, I haven't taken classes upon classes about the Bible...but I don't know of anywhere in Bible that says it's okay to be selfish and think only about ME!

You see....today is National Prayer Day, but everyday is prayer day...every moment should be prayer moments. We have to teach our children to take everything to God in prayer! We have to teach them to ask for forgiveness on a daily basis. We have to teach them to be thankful for all things...(Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18). We have to teach our children to have a relationship with God and to avoid sin because sin is separation from God. We have to teach our children to love God no matter what, to call on God no matter what, to praise God no matter what and to communicate with God no matter what!

What is the best way to teach?
LEAD BY EXAMPLE




"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18).

No comments: