Setting sail....

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Christian Responsiblity

So this week we were watching Grey’s Anatomy and I got SO mad at them using the Bible to defend homosexuals, me being me, then Tweeted about it which sparked several comments. They got me thinking, Christians have NO Christian responsibility today (well, I will say we do when we want to).

If you know Mr. Goodbar, you know that he is pretty strong willed, this can cause some arguments sometimes because I don’t understand why things matter so much. I am now finding myself jumping on the same things that he has been saying for years. In our home, we don’t purchase Pepsi because it is one of the “Official Sponsors” of several gay pride parades around the nation. We don’t eat McDonald’s because of the same things, we don’t buy Campbells Soup because they are adjusting their advertising to “appeal to the ‘modern’ family” including homosexuals. The latest boycott is Susan G. Komen…this one FLOORED ME!!! They give money to Planned Parenthood! More babies are killed by abortion than women die of breast cancer each year. This is so contradictory to me….their sole purpose is to save lives yet they give to an organization whose biggest thing is killing lives!! Explain that to me!!!

Anyway, all that made me think….here I am boycotting these companies with my hubby (reluctantly on the Pepsi thing, seeing as Mtn. Dew is part of that), and I sat there and didn’t turn off Grey’s when they were spewing out that crap!! I had just had a conversation with a friend about a radio show here in Atlanta that Christians need to stop listening to so they will stop talking about all the junk and yet I sat there watching Grey’s because I like the show! Now, here I am thinking about my Christian responsibility.

We have a responsibility to strive to live as Christ lived. We have a responsibility to be in the world not of the world!! Several people jumped on my Tweet about Grey’s saying that Jesus never condemned homosexuality and he preached love, that’s what we should do, love them, I agree we should love them. You love the sinner, hate the sin! But homosexuality is no different than any other sin. Why do we excuse people who cheat on their spouses (or better yet, not excuse them but excuse homosexuals)? No, I don’t think this sin is any worse than any other sin, but I do believe it is a sin, as I do most of the story lines on Grey’s Anatomy!! I realized I am mad about them twisting the Bible but not about the constant sinning that they portray as normal in today’s society.

We have a responsibility to stand out, stand out from the non-Christians, more like STAND UP!! We have to stand up and take this country back!! What happened to the days where TV didn’t show a couple in the same bed, or allow even the word crap on TV…now they bleep out God but leave in the “f” word!! If we, as Christians, would stand up and take the responsibility of being a Christian, we could take this world back!! It has worked…Ford pulled their sponsorship of gay pride parades because their sales plummeted when AFA (American Family Association) told us to boycott them! What about all the stores that stopped saying Christmas but yet we had no issue shopping at them? Why can’t we change the channel or find a new store to shop at or a new place to eat? Is being a Christian to inconvenient? God never said it would be easy to be a Christian!

We have the responsibility to turn off the TV, change our drink, shop somewhere different, or just stand up to our friends when it comes to GOD!!! Or even better, get on the computer and send letters, letters and more letters to the shows and companies that are doing these things! (This is what I am going to do with Grey’s, my letter may not do anything, but I bet a million would!) If I loose a friend because they don’t like how I stand up for God, I’m okay with that, but if I have to answer for not standing up for God when someone was speaking against Him or His teachings….which would you choose??

You see, I am so tired of people getting irritated over conversations about homosexuality being wrong or people getting mad because we as Christians don’t like what’s going on in with our nation! I personally believe I have a responsibility to voice what the Bible teaches and to try to avoid sin. Do I believe homosexuality is any worse than any other sin, NOPE…but it seems to be the “sin of today” that everyone thinks is okay!! It has become the norm instead of the exception so we have to accept it! This is just a crazy concept to me! I believe in God’s love and I believe that His love can move mountains, so why can’t it help this nation find God again?


It’s time to STAND UP instead of SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

Brittany Jade said...

I wanted to share in your frustration. I LOVE Q100 -- but after an issue with their recent parade float, I have stopped listening to them. So far, so good, two weeks :) They made a float for Gay Pride Parade. I don't have an issue with someone being in this parade, I don't agree with homosexuality, but I'm not going to chastise them for it. What made me furious!!!! Was their float! Blasphemy is wrong!! They made an ark, with two animals of every kind, OF THE SAME SEX!!!!!!

M and M said...

Seriously!!! That is crazy! You can do it!