Setting sail....

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Learning from our kids....

WOW....that's still odd to say..."KIDS". That takes some getting used to!!

We strive to teach our kids the right and wrong things and how to be a morally sound person. We strive to teach them all the physical things they need to learn. We strive to teach them to read and write. I think we often forget to stop and take the time to learn from our kids.

This week I've had two lessons from my babies! The first was from the little nugget. At two and a half weeks he's already teaching Mommy some things. Ever since we brought him home from the hospital I was dying for the umbilical cord to fall off so he could have a REAL bath. Finally, Sunday morning (about 2 am to be exact) it happened. Then all the sudden I got kind of sad and emotional about it. Now, it could have been the lack of sleep or hormones taking over, but that doesn't change what I got out of it. I thought about what that little black thing meant. It was the last reminder of the time he spent in me, the time he spent directly connected to me, getting what he needed without needing to ask for it. Now, he is in a cold, harsh world where he has to cry to express his needs and often longs for being back in his comfortable place that he was so happy in. I thought about how we have a connection to God like that. He can give us EVERYTHING we need! We have a constant link between Him and us. We are in the same cold, harsh world crying for someone to listen to us for what we need, we often forget that we don't have to do that. We have the same kind of tie to God that my little guy had to me for nine months, a comfortable place to get our needs met. It is incredibly comforting to know that the connection we have to God will never be cut or fall off. No one can sever that bond. We can forget it is there and think he has left us, but that bond is never broken and we can always rely on God!!

The second lesson was from my incredible 2 year old, Junior Mint! We have a few Gideon Bibles laying around the house, Junior Mint got one and asked us to read it. Every night for about a week now we have read a few chapters with him. On Friday, he picked up the Bible and wanted me to read but I couldn't at that moment. He started flipping through the pages and page after page he said "God loves me". He told me that is what it said. I just looked at him and said "Yes, it does". I wish we all could remember that! Every page of the Bible is covered with "GOD LOVES ME!!" We want to point out the do and don't of the Bible and all the "rules" of church or being a Christian, when really every page says "God loves me!"

It amazes me the lessons I can get from my kiddos. The innocence that is behind some of the conversations we have and the joy that is in his heart takes my breath away!! We need to take the time to stop and listen to our kids sometimes. Sometimes, they can teach us things no one else can!!

No comments: