Setting sail....

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Thursday, July 15, 2010

A week in review...

I try to write more profound thoughts with a few updates here and there....however, lately it is all updates! This is totally our...


Last Thursday night (1 am feeding, so technically Friday morning) I noticed I was itching and realized my arms and belly were covered in hives...lots of hives! I took Benedryl and no response... they just kept getting worse. I went to Urgent Care when they opened. They said it was an allergic reaction and gave me 4 pills of Prednisone and that was about it. The hives and rash stayed but I was doing pretty well Friday night, considering! Saturday morning I woke up with hives COVERING my whole body!! It looked like my skin was boiling off there was so much redness and so many bumps. I then added a fever to the symptoms and it hurt to breathe. Sooooo... off to Urgent Care again! They looked at me, gave me a shot of steroids and sent me to the ER. There, the doctor thought it was an allergic reaction too, and gave me an IV of stronger steroids, Vistaril (like Benedryl) and Pepcid (which is an anti-histamine too). They ran test to check for a bacterial infection and look at some blood counts. Everything looked good. They sent me home with a steroid pack, Vistaril and Pepcid. I started to get better. The rash was going away and the itching was getting better. Sunday was a pretty good day! That's where that ends and it gets odd!!

Monday I woke up and couldn't move! Literally, my hands didn't work, they were COVERED with bright red spots. I was throwing up and in the bathroom. My arm and shoulder hurt to move; it was excruciating pain! My jaws didn't really open and it hurt to move them. My lips were swollen and my hives were returning. So, I went to my PCP doctor. They were NO help!! They had NO clue what it was and had no clue where to even begin. She got another doctor who looked at me and had some ideas. He thought thyroid problems or Lupus. They ran TONS of blood work and sent me home. I was miserable. I couldn't hold the little nugget; the weight of him in my arms was too much to bear. After that, the pain moved to all my joints and muscles. It hurt to move anything. I couldn't get my clothes off and I couldn't stand. Mr. Goodbar had to help me to the bathroom, but there was no where he could touch me that didn't hurt! I was miserable!!

Tuesday, was a little better. My joints and muscles were still aching. I was still itching and hurting. The pain was SO odd, unlike anything I had ever experienced. It would move from joint to joint and one minute it would be fine and then like a tidal wave it would hit!

Wednesday, about the same as Tuesday. Spent most of the morning trying to make a doctor's appointment for an Allergist/Immunologist.

This morning is what most of you are awaiting. Well, it was a good news day! We saw the Allergist/Immunologist this morning (He was great, by the way). We explained everything and he instantly said it was an allergic reaction. He looked at the pictures I had of me from Monday and explained the horrible pain. He said that was part of a severe anaphylactic reaction. I didn't know that meant more than breathing issues, but it does! He said whatever I am allergic to was causing a reaction inside that couldn't come out. The skin was getting better because the medicine was semi-working. The meds they gave me weren't strong enough to really get rid of the anaphylaxis, just suppress it for a little while. He doesn't know what I am allergic to and said we may never know. Right now, he has to work on getting it all out of my system! He thought it could be a reaction to the drugs from labor and deliver. He said it can be a couple of months before the drugs work their way through a person's system.

I did get all the blood work back, finally!! Everything was normal!! Prayers were answered there!! I can handle an allergic reaction compared to all the auto-immune disorders they were considering!

I go back to the allergist in a month. In the meantime, I am on a stronger, longer steroid to try to completely knock out whatever it is causing it. If I have the symptoms again, I have to do steroids again but hopefully, can get them sooner so the reaction won't be as severe. This new doctor is going to review my blood work just as a double check! I am still hurting though, and I get tired easily, especially my muscles. The pain moves from joint to joint... as I type this it is in my thumb, making it INCREDIBLY hard to type! Today, it seems to be effecting my eyes too. They are really tired and achy! Overall, I'm getting better, just dealing with the symptoms as they come and go. Hopefully, this new drug will work quickly and effectively and I can avoid another outbreak until I go back in August!

Thank you SO much for all the prayers. Please continue to pray that things get better and the pain continues to ease up. Also, please pray that I can avoid another breakout!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

OMG, how scary that must have been. Not to mention uncomfortable and inconvenient. I hope that things are looking brighter. I'm a new follower from MBC and would love for you to come visit me over at :)