Setting sail....

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Monday, March 14, 2011

A great shopping day...

As some of you know we are well into the midst of party planning for Junior Mint! He turns the big 3 on Sunday (I can't believe it), the same day Twix is being dedicated!! We have a good ol' fashion cowboy shindig planned for Saturday, complete with fire ring for roasting hot dogs and cornbread sticks!

With all that I had to get started shopping for the food! We talked about how I was going to save money on the stuff I needed when I didn't stock up weeks ago like I do with everything else when it was on sale. So...I hit the internet and used my brain a little (and some friends) to come up with a plan. I was going to try out the new coupon policy at Wal-Mart. I am NOT a Wal-Mart fan, as anyone who has spoken with me about it knows. They are usually rude and have always seemed to treat couponers poorly and I can get better deals elsewhere these days. But, with a little planning I did great today!! Check it out:

3 Rootbeer
1 Dr. Thunder
1 Diet Dr. Thunder
3 bags Northern Beans
1 Dial Nutriskin Lotion
7 packs Purex 3 in 1 sheets
10 packs Bar S Hot Dogs
1 Mini Oreo can (just for Junior Mint being so good)

TOTAL: -$1.94 (YES, That is negative. They PAID ME $1.94 for all of this!!!)

Here is the breakdown of coupons: the Purex sheets were 97 cent a pack and there is a coupon for $3 off that earned me $2.03 each and the lotion was $1.97 and there is a coupon for $2 so I earned 3 cent. That gave me a total of $14.24 to spend on other stuff I needed or I could have gotten the cash back but I needed stuff. The hotdogs were 88 cent each and I had $1 off 2. I got all that for free plus profit!!!

I then had to go to another Wal-Mart to get the other free plus profit thing to help with other things for the party. (We have 2 Wal-Marts within 5 minutes) Check this one out:

2 25ct. cups
1 2lb. bag of powdered sugar
1 50ct. plates
1 48 ct. forks
6 boxes Gain dryer sheets
5 individual Millstone coffee
2 packs sucker sticks and wrappers (for the favors for the party)
1 Mini Oreo can (this one was for being patient while I drug him to another Wal-Mart)

TOTAL: $3.80

Here's that breakdown:
The Gain dryer sheets were $1.87 and there is a coupon for $3 off, so I earned $1.13 on each, $6.78 total. The Millstone coffee was $1.67 each and there is a $2 off coupon, so I earned 33 cent on each, $1.65 total.

The total I actually spent today was $1.86 for everything above!!

Not bad I say!!!!

I really enjoyed Wal-Mart's new policy. Will I fore go Publix and Food Lion...NO but I may have to make more of an effort to check out the Wal-Mart deals each week!!

2 comments:

The Culbertsons said...

Wow, I am very impressed! How many papers do you buy a week to get that many coupons? I don't buy a paper - my in-laws and ppl at church give me their coupon inserts, so I usually end up with 2or 3. Way to go on the wonderful deals and I can't believe Wal-Mart actually paid you $$!

M and M said...

I buy 4 papers. We have bundles here, so on Sunday morning before church we go get 2 bundles at $3 each. It's $1 cheaper than buying 2 individual papers. I also have neighbors that give me coupons they don't want and then I get one more set in the mail once a week.